الحمد لله رب العالمين
و صلى الله على سيدنا محمد و على آله وصحبه وسلم تسليما كثيرا
by Amjad Tarsin
[Please also read Mufti Taqi Usmani's article on the month of Rajab: http://albalagh.net/general/
So, my dear friend, put forth a great effort in the month of Rajab, may Allah have mercy on you. It is the season of great profits, so take advantage of your time! Whoever is spiritually sick due to their sins - know that the medicine has come.
- Muslims should remember the important events that took place in the history of Islam during this month, such as the Night Journey and Ascension, the Battle of Tabuk, and the liberation of Al-Aqsa Mosque from the crusaders at the hands of Salah Ad-Din Al-Ayubi (AH 538).
- Rajab is one of the four sacred months mentioned in the Quran (the four months are : Rajab, Dhul Qi'da, Dhul Hijjah, and Muharram):
- Observing voluntary fasting in the four sacred months, including Rajab, is recommended. (Fasting is permissible and recommended in Rajab as long as one believes that there is no extra reward for fasting in this month. Please click here.)
- Also, making du'a during the eve of the first of Rajab is highly recommended. The Prophet, peace and mercy be upon him, said, "There are five nights in which du'a (supplication) is not rejected: the eve of Rajab, the 15th night of Sha'aban, the eve of Friday, on the eve of Eid Al-Fitr, and on the eve of Eid Al-Adha." [Al-Suyuti in his Al-Jami'].
- Rajab is Allah's month in which He pours His Mercy upon the penitent and He accepts the actions that people have done for His sake. The Prophet, peace and mercy be upon him, said, "Rajab is the month of Allah, and Sha'aban is my month, and Ramadan is the month of my Ummah." (Imam Al-Suyuti in Al-Jami).
- Scholars say: Rajab is the month of repentance (istighfar), and Sha'aban is the month of sending peace and mercy (salawat/durood shareef) upon the Prophet, and Ramadan is the month of Qur'an.
- One highly recommended act to do is say 70 times after the Fajr and 'Isha prayers every morning and night of Rajab:"اللهم اغفر لي وارحمني وتب عليَّ"
Transliteration: "Allahuma ighfir li wa Arhamni wa tub 'alayya."
Translation: Oh Allah forgive me, have mercy upon me, and grant me repentance.
- Sayyidna 'Ali, may Allah be well pleased with him, used to allocate extra amounts of time for worship on four nights - the first night of Rajab, the nights before the two Eids, and the 15th night of Sha'aban.
- It is also highly recommended to say the following Prophetic prayer (known as Sayyid Al-Istighfar or the Master of Repentance) 3 times every morning and every evening in Rajab:اللهم أنت ربي، لا اله الا أنت خلقتني وأنا عبدك، وأنا على عهدك ووعدك ما استطعت، أعوذ بك من شر ما صنعت، أبوء لك بنعمتك عليَّ وأبوء يذنبي فاغفر لي فإنه لا يغفر الذنوب الا أنت
Transliteration: Allahuma anta rabi la ilaha illa ant, khalaqtani wa ana 'abduk, wa ana 'ala 'ahdika wa wa'adika ma astata'at, 'authu bika min shar ma san'at, abu'u laka bi ni'matika 'allaya wa abu'u bi dhanbi, faqhfir li fa'innahu la yaghfir al-dhunub ila anta.
Translation: O Allah, you are my Lord, and there is no god but you. You created me and I am your servant, and I am upon the convenant to the best of my ability. I seek refuge in you from the evil I have brought upon myself. I admit all the blessings you have given me and I admit my sins, so forgive me, for no one can forgive sins save You.And success is from Allah!