Bismillah!

Bismillah!

Tuesday, January 16, 2007

A Smile is Charity

As-salamu alaikum wa Rahmatullah

I received an email from a friend today which I felt reflected the hadith well "(Even) a smile is charity." We should always remember that moods are contagious and if we want this world to be a brighter, more cheerful and happy place then it must start with each of us. So keep on smiling and represent well this shining gem of Islam! Tawfiq, insha'Allah

My friend wrote:

Okay, althought mashaAllah most of all of the people I sent this to are very
bubbly and smiley in public, it's a good reminder (especially as
Muslimeen--since especially with hijab most everyone knows we are Muslim)
for us to always be positive, happy, and nice to people----especially
non-Muslims! I was at a store today, and this lady came up to me and said,
"You know, I don't mean to be rude or anything, but I've never come across
one of 'you guys' before." What she meant was, 'hijabis.' So anyways, she
asked me about Islam and the meaning of hijab, and she left content. I'm no
saint, but trust me, when we don't smile in public to other people, they
think we're oppressed and miserable. So show everyone how happy and proud you are to be a Muslim!!! Well, enjoy the story! Peace...

Keep me in your du'as!

P.S. The story is right at the bottom, just scroll down. It's titled
"change." I think it's a true story, well it has to be, because everyone
encounters situations like this daily. Enjoy!

Change


Not long ago I was in Nashville, Tennessee and I went into a convenience
store to get a newspaper and a pack a gum.

The young women at the check-out counter said, "That 'll be five dollars
please," and as I reached into my wallet, the thought occurred to me that a
newspaper and gum didn't quite make it to five dollars.


When I looked up to get a "re-quote", she had a big smile on her face and
said, "Gotcha! I got to get my tip in there somehow!"

I laughed when I knew I'd been had. She then glanced down at the paper I was
buying and said, "I'm sick and tired of all this negative stuff on the front
pages. I want to read some good news for a change."



She then said, "In fact, I think someone should just publish a Good News
newspaper - a paper with wonderful, inspiring stories about people
overcoming adversity and doing good things for others. I'd buy one
everyday!"

She then thanked me for coming in and said, "Maybe we'll get lucky tomorrow;
maybe we'll get some good news," and she laughed. She made my day.

The following day, after my business appointments, I dropped by the same
store again to pick up a bottled water, but a different young lady was
behind the counter.

As I checked out I said, "Good afternoon," and handed her my money for the
water. She said nothing - not a word, not a smile...nothing. She just
handed me my change and in a negative tone ordered...."Next!"

It hit me right between the eyes: Two people, same age; one made me feel
great, and the other, well, made me feel that I had inconvenienced her by
showing up.

By the choices we make, by the attitudes we exhibit, we are influencing
lives every day in positive or negative ways...our family, our peers, our
friends, and even strangers we've never met before and will never meet
again.

So when you brush your teeth every morning, look in the mirror and ask
yourself..."Are there things I'd like to change?" How will you choose to
live your life...as "the grouch" or as "the good news girl?"

Your answer will go a long way toward determining the joy and happiness that
you will experience in your life.

1 comment:

  1. Anonymous4:52 PM

    JazakAllah Khair Ustadha.

    A smile on your face or a kind word can really affect people. And smiles are contagious, so it is a great sadaqah.

    ReplyDelete